Yakla Raid: Trump's First Military Operation Kills Civilians and a U.S. Navy SEAL
Last updated
The Yakla raid was authorized by Trump without the standard national security review process. The operation went wrong from the start: intelligence may have been compromised, the element of surprise was lost, and the ensuing firefight resulted in the deaths of a U.S. service member, three wounded Americans, and an estimated 23–30 Yemeni civilians including at least 8 children. Among the civilians killed was 8-year-old Nawar al-Awlaki, a U.S. citizen — the daughter of cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who had been killed in a 2011 Obama-era drone strike.
Overview
Nine days into his presidency, Donald Trump authorized his first military operation — a Special Operations raid on a suspected Al-Qaeda compound in the Yemeni village of Yakla. The operation resulted in the death of a U.S. Navy SEAL, the wounding of three other American service members, the destruction of a $75 million aircraft, and the deaths of an estimated 23–30 civilians, including at least eight children.
The manner of the raid's authorization — over dinner, without the NSC process — and the subsequent casualty toll drew immediate scrutiny.
How the Decision Was Made
The Yakla operation had been planned during the Obama administration but was held pending a more thorough national security review. The Obama team decided not to proceed. Trump approved it on January 25 — his fifth day in office — during a dinner at Mar-a-Lago that included his son-in-law Jared Kushner, chief strategist Steve Bannon, and National Security Advisor Michael Flynn.
The principals committee review that would have been convened under the Obama decision-making process was bypassed. The dinner authorization was described by officials to various news organizations as unusual for an operation of this type.
The Raid and Its Casualties
By multiple accounts, the element of surprise was lost before the operation began. Yemeni sources told reporters that Al-Qaeda fighters in the area appeared to have been warned. As the SEAL team approached the compound, a firefight began that lasted approximately 50 minutes.
Chief Petty Officer William "Ryan" Owens was shot and killed. Three other team members were wounded. An Osprey aircraft was destroyed during the casualty evacuation when it made a hard landing; the aircraft had to be deliberately demolished to prevent capture.
During and after the firefight, an estimated 23–30 civilians in the surrounding village were killed. At least 8 were children. Nawar al-Awlaki — an 8-year-old American citizen, the daughter of slain cleric Anwar al-Awlaki — was shot and reportedly bled for two hours before dying.
Trump's Response
Trump initially called the raid "a success" and attacked critics of the operation. He later told Fox News that "they lost Ryan" while discussing military decision-making — a comment widely interpreted as deflecting responsibility to the commanders who planned the operation.
At a joint congressional address on February 28, Trump invoked Ryan Owens's widow Carryn, seated in the gallery, for what became a prolonged standing ovation. Ryan Owens's father, who had refused to meet Trump at Dover and was calling for an investigation, was not present.
Timeline
Sequence of events
January 25, 2017
Trump approves raid over dinner at Mar-a-Lago
Trump approves the special operations raid on Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula targets in Yakla, Yemen, over dinner at his Mar-a-Lago resort. The operation had been planned during the Obama administration but held pending a full NSC review; Trump approved it without convening the formal review.
January 29, 2017
Raid launched; turns deadly
U.S. Navy SEALs and allied Yemeni forces begin the raid. The element of surprise appears to have been lost; fighters were prepared and waiting. Chief Petty Officer Ryan Owens is killed in the ensuing firefight. Three other Americans are wounded. A V-22 Osprey crashes during the evacuation.
January 29, 2017
Civilians killed, including children
During the raid, as many as 23–30 civilians are killed, including at least 8 children. Among the dead is 8-year-old Nawar al-Awlaki, an American citizen, who dies of a gunshot wound. She reportedly bled for two hours before dying.
February 1, 2017
Trump calls raid 'a great success'
Trump defends the operation as highly successful and says those calling it a failure are wrong. He does not publicly address the civilian casualties.
February 8, 2017
Ryan Owens's father refuses to meet Trump at Dover
Bill Owens refuses to meet with Trump when his son's body is flown to Dover Air Force Base. In an interview, he says: 'Why did my son die? I want an investigation. The government owes my son an investigation.' He expresses doubt about whether the raid was properly authorized.
February 28, 2017
Trump invokes Owens's widow at joint congressional address
Trump delivers a nationally-televised joint address to Congress in which he invokes Owens's widow Carryn, who is seated in the gallery, for an extended standing ovation. Critics describe the moment as using her grief for political purposes while the raid's failures remained under scrutiny.
Sources
- ↑ How a Navy SEAL Died in Yemen: Trump's First Military Raid Had Fatal Complications — The New York Times
- ↑ Trump's botched Yemen raid: what we know about how it went wrong — The Guardian
- ↑ The Real Story of the Trump Attack That Killed an Eight-Year-Old American Girl — ProPublica
- ↑ US military operations in Yemen — civilian casualty tracking — Airwars
- ↑ Trump and Senior Officials Defend Yemen Raid as Criticism Mounts — The New York Times
Verification