Lafayette Square: Protesters Gassed for Bible Photo Op
Last updated
Tear gas, pepper spray, and mounted police were deployed against peaceful protesters who were within their legal rights to be in Lafayette Square until the 7 PM curfew. The clearing operation began approximately 30 minutes before the curfew. Once the square was cleared, Trump walked out of the White House to St. John's Church, stood in front of it holding a Bible, and had photographs taken. The Episcopal bishop whose church was used said she was 'outraged' and had not been notified. Joint Chiefs Chairman Mark Milley later apologized for participating in the walk. Defense Secretary Esper publicly opposed using active-duty troops as Trump had suggested.
Overview
On June 1, 2020, the United States was eight days into nationwide protests over the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers. The protests in Washington included large crowds at Lafayette Square, across the street from the White House.
At approximately 6:30 PM — 30 minutes before the 7 PM curfew that would have legally required the crowd to disperse — federal officers moved on the square using chemical agents, rubber bullets, and physical force. The protesters were peaceful. They were within their legal rights until 7 PM.
Once the square was cleared, the President walked out to hold up a Bible.
What the Bishop Said
Mariann Budde, the Episcopal Bishop of Washington, had not been notified that her church would be used for a presidential photo opportunity. She told NPR she was "outraged" and said that Trump had used her church as a "prop." She noted that he did not pray.
St. John's Church, known as the "Church of Presidents," had been used by presidents for private worship across U.S. history. It had not been used as a backdrop for riot-cleared political photography.
What the Generals Said
Mark Milley participated in the walk. He is the highest-ranking U.S. military officer. In a graduation speech delivered 10 days later, he said his presence was "a mistake" and that the military must not be used to suppress American citizens' rights.
Mark Esper, as Defense Secretary, publicly stated he opposed deploying active-duty troops against protesters. He broke with Trump's explicit desire to "dominate" the streets. He was fired several months later.
James Mattis, who had resigned the previous year, described Trump as the first president in his lifetime who makes no effort to unite the country — and called the deployment of military force against protesters a "threat to the Constitution."
Timeline
Sequence of events
June 1, 2020
Protesters cleared from Lafayette Square
Federal officers using chemical agents and physical force clear peaceful protesters from Lafayette Square approximately 30 minutes before a 7 PM curfew. Trump then walks to St. John's Church with senior officials for a photograph holding a Bible.
June 2, 2020
Military and religious leaders condemn the action
Episcopal Bishop Budde calls the action 'outrageous.' Defense Secretary Esper publicly breaks with Trump over using military against protesters. Former Defense Secretary James Mattis releases a statement calling Trump 'the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people.'
June 11, 2020
Milley apologizes for participating
Joint Chiefs Chairman General Mark Milley delivers a graduation speech in which he says his presence in the Lafayette Square walk was 'a mistake' and that he 'should not have been there.' He states the military must remain apolitical.
June 9, 2021
Inspector General report released
The Interior Department IG finds that the decision to clear the square was made before Trump's decision to walk to the church — it was not clearing the square for the photo op. However, the IG also finds that officers used force before giving adequate warnings to protesters. The clearing occurred regardless of the photo op decision.
Sources
- ↑ Troops in Washington, Tear Gas in Square, Curfews in Cities — The New York Times
- ↑ Inspector General found clearing was planned before Trump photo op walk — The Washington Post
- ↑ Bishop of St. John's Church Calls Trump Visit 'Outrageous' — NPR
- ↑ Protesters dispersed for Trump church visit; military chiefs speak out — The Associated Press
Verification