Critical Rights and Rule-of-Law Concern

MOAB Strike in Afghanistan: First Combat Use of Largest Non-Nuclear Bomb

U.S. forces dropped the MOAB on an ISIS-Khorasan tunnel complex in Achin district, Nangarhar Province. It was the bomb's first combat use. Trump said he had authorized 'another successful job' but defense officials indicated the decision was made at the field commander level without direct presidential sign-off. Afghan and UN officials disputed casualty figures and raised concerns about civilian impact in surrounding villages.

Overview

On April 13, 2017, U.S. forces dropped the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb — nicknamed the "Mother of All Bombs" (MOAB) — on tunnel complexes used by ISIS-Khorasan (ISIS-K) in the Achin district of Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan. With a blast radius of approximately one mile, it was the most powerful conventional weapon in the U.S. arsenal, and it had never been used in combat in the 14 years since it was developed.

Questions About Authorization

When asked about the strike, Trump initially said he had "given the military total authorization" and described it as "another successful event." However, defense officials indicated that the decision to use the MOAB specifically was made by the field commander, General John Nicholson, under broad authority Trump had delegated to commanders — not by Trump directly.

This raised significant questions: Did Trump understand what he was authorizing when he delegated strike authority? Did the decision to use the largest non-nuclear weapon ever deployed in combat receive the scrutiny its unprecedented nature required? The answers were never definitively established.

Civilian Impact

The U.S. military reported that 92-96 ISIS-K fighters were killed with no civilian casualties. Afghan officials separately reported at least 4 civilian deaths in nearby villages. The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan expressed concern and requested access to assess civilian impact, but independent verification was limited due to security conditions and access restrictions in the remote area.

Proportionality Questions

The selection of the MOAB — a weapon designed for maximum area effect and optimal against large underground complexes — for a target described as a series of tunnels in a relatively rural area raised questions about proportionality under international humanitarian law. Critics noted that the symbolic and psychological value of using the "Mother of All Bombs" for the first time in history appeared to be at least as significant to U.S. decision-makers as the specific military necessity of using that particular weapon rather than smaller alternatives.

Timeline

Sequence of events

  1. MOAB dropped on Nangarhar tunnel complex

    U.S. forces drop the GBU-43/B MOAB on tunnel complexes used by ISIS-Khorasan in Achin district. The bomb — which had been in the U.S. arsenal since 2003 but never used — creates a blast equivalent to approximately 11 tons of TNT.

  2. Trump claims credit; chain of command questioned

    Trump tells reporters 'We have the greatest military in the world and they did the job as usual. So we're very proud of them.' Defense officials clarify that the decision was made at the field level under authority Trump had delegated to commanders.

  3. Afghan officials dispute civilian impact

    Afghan officials report 4 civilian deaths near the blast site. The UN AISMA (Afghanistan Civilian Protection Monitoring) expresses concern and requests access to assess civilian impact. Independent verification remains impossible due to access restrictions.

Sources

  1. U.S. Drops 'Mother of All Bombs' on ISIS Caves in Afghanistan — The New York Times
  2. GBU-43/B: US drops 'mother of all bombs' on Afghanistan — BBC News
  3. US says 94 Isis fighters killed in biggest non-nuclear bomb attack — The Guardian
  4. Afghan officials dismiss civilian casualties; UN raises concerns — Reuters

Verification

Publication provenance

Related records