Zero Tolerance: 5,500+ Children Separated, HHS Lost Track of Hundreds
Last updated
Zero tolerance created systematic family separation as deliberate policy — not incidentally but intentionally, with separation designed as a deterrent. The administration did not build a system to track which children belonged to which parents. A federal judge ordered reunification within 30 days; the government said it could not comply. By October 2020, the ACLU reported that 628 children had parents who still could not be found — many of whom had been deported to Central America without their children, without being told where their children were.
Overview
Zero tolerance was not a border security policy that had family separation as a side effect. It was a deterrence policy that used family separation as its mechanism. The deterrence theory was explicit: the experience of having your child taken would discourage others from attempting the crossing.
More than 5,500 children were separated. The government did not build a system to track who belonged to whom. When a federal court ordered reunification, the government could not comply with the timeline because it had not maintained the data needed to do so.
The Architecture of Separation
The technical problem was not complicated to anticipate. Separating adults from children and placing them in different agency custody streams — DOJ for the adults, HHS for the children — without a unified identifier linking families would predictably make reunification difficult. The government implemented the policy without solving this problem first.
The result was not a bureaucratic failure superimposed on a policy. It was a predictable consequence of implementing mass separation without the infrastructure to undo it.
What Could Not Be Undone
For 628 families, the separation became permanent. Parents had been deported to El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras — without their children, without being told where their children had been sent, sometimes without knowing the children were still in the United States.
The ACLU lawyers working on reunification described calling numbers that had been disconnected, reaching relatives who had not heard from the deported parents, and filing missing-persons reports in Central American countries to locate people who had been expelled from the United States.
These families had come to the border seeking protection. What they encountered was the deliberate removal of their children as a deterrent to other families contemplating the same journey.
The Denials
Kirstjen Nielsen, the DHS Secretary, held a press conference in which she denied that there was a "zero tolerance family separation policy." Sessions had announced the zero tolerance policy six weeks earlier. The denial was factually false on its face.
Trump blamed Democrats. The policy had been implemented through executive action by his own administration.
Timeline
Sequence of events
April 6, 2018
Sessions announces zero tolerance
Attorney General Sessions announces the zero tolerance policy, directing all U.S. Attorney's offices along the southern border to prosecute all adults crossing unlawfully. The criminal prosecution process means adults are taken to federal court while their children are transferred to HHS as 'unaccompanied minors.'
May 1, 2018
Policy implemented; separations escalate
Separations increase dramatically. Approximately 2,000 children are separated in the first six weeks of implementation. The government has no tracking system linking separated children to their parents.
June 18, 2018
ProPublica audio published
ProPublica publishes audio of children crying in a Border Patrol detention facility as agents mock them. The recording becomes a turning point in public pressure to end the policy.
June 20, 2018
Trump signs executive order
Trump signs an executive order nominally ending family separation, under intense bipartisan political pressure. He and administration officials blame Democrats for the policy, despite it being initiated by executive action.
June 26, 2018
Federal court orders reunification
Judge Dana Sabraw in the Southern District of California orders the government to reunify all separated children with their parents within 30 days and to stop separating families. The government acknowledges it cannot meet the court's timeline.
October 2, 2020
ACLU: 628 parents still cannot be found
ACLU lawyers report to the court that 628 separated children still have parents who cannot be located. Many parents were deported without their children; others' contact information had not been preserved.
Sources
- ↑ Trump Retreats on Separating Families, but Thousands May Remain Apart — The New York Times
- ↑ 628 children's parents still haven't been found, lawyers say — The Washington Post
- ↑ Trump's family separation policy — by the numbers — The Associated Press
- ↑ More Than 5,500 Children Were Separated Under Trump Family Separation Policy — ACLU
- ↑ HHS OIG Report on Unaccompanied Children During Family Separation — U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General
Verification